Caps, Gowns & More...
Student Caps & Gowns
Bachelor and Master Degree Candidates/Graduates
These candidates purchase their appropriate academic cap, gown, hood and colored tassel at the University Bookstore, 200 Lee Entrance, on the North Campus. Bachelor and Master apparel can be purchased beginning March 4 through May 18. It is best to purchase early to ensure proper sizing.
UB is offering the environmentally friendly Jostens Elements Collection. All bachelor and master attire is made from acetate fiber which is produced using wood from renewable, managed forests. The fabrics and packaging both completely decompose in soil.
These candidates, including M.D., Ph.D., Au.D., D.N.P., Ed.D., LL.M., J.D., Pharm.D., D.D.S., and D.P.T. conferrals, can rent their academic dress through the University Bookstore (North Campus). Candidates for M.D. or Ph.D. degrees through the School of Medicine & Biomedical Sciences, and D.D.S., J.D. and LL.M. degrees, please see the additional information below. Purchase of custom UB regalia is also an option through the University Bookstore.
Doctoral/Ph.D. orders must be placed between January 6 and February 21 in order to guarantee the correct hood colors. A late charge may apply to orders placed after February 21.
Rentals can be picked up at the bookstore beginning April 14 and should be returned to the bookstore no later than June 6. (School of Medicine & Biomedical Sciences and School of Dental Medicine: please see special note below).
Rented ceremony caps and gowns for graduate students are black, with the exception of the Medical School regalia which is blue and green and Dental School regalia which is blue and black. Custom UB Regalia (for purchase) is blue. Tassels are available in the school academic colors appropriate to the University at Buffalo for all ceremonies.
The hoods are lined in blue and gold. Width of the velvet border varies by degree, while the color of the velvet border indicates the academic discipline; Ph.D. hoods are trimmed in royal blue.
Pricing Menu (All prices are subject to tax)
- Bachelor cap, gown, hood, tassel PURCHASE - $86.50
- Master cap, gown, hood, tassel PURCHASE - $97.50
- Doctoral/Ph.D. Regalia for PURCHASE - visit the University Bookstore
- Doctoral/Ph.D. cap, gown, hood, tassel RENTAL - $61.00
- School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences (SMBS)
- Ph.D. (Biomed Sciences) tam, gown, hood, tassel RENTAL - $68.50
- M.D. tam, gown, hood, tassel RENTAL - $77.00
- M.D. with joint degree (M.B.A., Ph.D., M.P.H. or D.D.S): Additional hood RENTAL (optional) - $28.50
- All students must inform the Bookstore that they are with SMBS. Also, head measurement is required for SMBS phone orders. All rented SMBS regalia must be returned immediately after the ceremonies, on site.
- School of Dental Medicine (SDM)
- D.D.S. tam, gown, hood RENTAL and retainable tassel - $80.50
- All students must inform the Bookstore that they are with SDM. All rented SDM regalia must be returned immediately after the ceremonies, on site.
- Law School
- Doctoral tam, gown, hood RENTAL and retainable tassel - $69.00
- Law students must provide head measurement for phone orders.
Bookstore Contact Information
Credit card orders are accepted at the University Bookstore (North Campus).
Bookstore: (716) 636-6290
Announcements, Diploma Frames & Class Rings
Graduation announcements are a symbol of accomplishment, pride and recognition.
- May 2014 University at Buffalo Personalized Announcement Products are available to order NOW through Jostens; visit jostens.com/college . Don't delay...customized announcement products require three weeks to process.
- Or, visit the University Bookstore beginning March 4, located on Lee Rd., on UB's Amherst (North) Campus to purchase generic announcements.
- Frames are available in two sizes - a larger size for MD and DDS, and a smaller size for all other degrees.
- Diploma frames are available via the UB Student Alumni Association and the University Bookstore .
It's your story...share it with a college ring. Design your ring 24/7 at jostens.com/college . Place your order via the Jostens website or by phone at 1-800-854-7464.